The original idea for Deep Sea Rescue was to have a bad guy manipulate the terrain with a pattern. My group and I decided to have a player try and sneak from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen to avoid a shark.
In the first draft, I created the enemy path. Because our terrain was the ocean, I felt the shark would have considerable range over the landscape and created a path that consisted of three circles wrapping around the screen. As an enemy, I wanted him to be harder to sneak past as the player got closer to the end zone, so the circles moved faster closer to the endzone. I was going to connect the three paths so that it would be one path but I didn’t have the knowledge or ability to do so when I began coding. With the help of my group, we realized that the weaving of the middle path seemed the most natural for the shark, and presented enough of a challenge without having to add the other two paths, so we presented this draft of the game with the shark using only the code for the middle path.
For our second draft, our change list consisted of making the motion of the shark wider, adding movement to the good and bad squares, giving the player more visual hints as to what the object of the game was, and introducing ending animations. We also needed to incorporate the new restriction that the player gained a choice from a bad thing (failure). We decided that the player would have three chances to learn from his/her mistake. Each time the player hit the shark, the shark would take a bite. Three bites, and the player was dead.
I worked on shark player collision with Destiny. We wanted to setup a counter in our collision so that the player had two penalties with the shark before the game would end and the shark would eat the player. First, I worked on finding some animation to signify that the player and the shark collided. We decide to add a gray flash as an indication with a screen that said you were bitten. Destiny and I worked on adding in the counter but found it was not keeping track of the amount of times that the the player and shark collided. So we passed it on to Amy who helped us figure out.
Our third draft and final draft consisted of added more realistic avatars (such as the new shark avatar, colors for the ocean and sand. Many of the glitches with the squares were fixed, and the code was adjusted to include an array list.