(the new title card)For my conference project, I continued working on my second group game, “Light the Lamps” (which was a continuation of my first group game, “Relay.”) I renamed the game “Lamp Lighter,” and updated it quite a bit. In “Lamp Lighter,” you play as the titular character whose job it is to protect its city’s lamps from evil bats who seek to snuff out their light with red goo. Background: As I mentioned in my post about my second group game, I wanted to add a background that was Victorian London-esque. I’ve included pictures of my drawing process:
(the first sketch)
(after another sketch, the line work process started)(the finished background!)
I decided to keep the background mostly gray with highlights of yellow.
After play testing my second group game in class, I decided to change the color of the player and make an avatar for it, to really help it stand out against the background:
Though I toyed around with random motion for a bit, I ultimately decided to keep my bad guys moving vertically in a straight line across the screen, but with random x coordinates, so that they’re not too predictable. Random motion ultimately made the bad guys too unavoidable, and this way the player really has a chance to explore the terrain of the game.
(a frozen bad guy) Sounds: Finally, to put the finishing touches on the game, I added some sound effects from freesound.org. To start, I added an eerie track of multiple people whispering for the soundtrack. I also added an ominous noise for when new bad guys spawn (which happens whenever you press on the screen,) and a freezing noise for when a player collects a power-up. All in all, I’m really please with how this game turned out. I definitely got it to where I wanted it to be aesthetically, though there’s always room for improvement. There are still some bugs in the code that I’d like to work out (lamp posts staying red even after the player touches them, bad guys never unfreezing, etc), but once those are taken care of, I might have my first “finished” game.
Our squirrels have three different phases of difficulty within the game: basic, acorn, and mega. At first we thought that this might make our behavioral chart intricate and complicated, until we realized that the squirrels have the same underlying pattern despite the increase in difficulty that occurs. These basic states are: seeking the player, attacking the player, and fleeing the player.
These behaviors are each triggered by a transition value, which we will alter as the squirrels enter different states of villainy.
The first transition, from seeking to attacking, is triggered as the squirrel reaches a certain distance to the player. This value will be initialized as being quite close to zero, so the squirrel will have to be nearly on top of the player to attack, and will increase as the game becomes more difficult, so the squirrel can do damage from further away. The second transition, from attacking to fleeing, is triggered when the squirrel is sprayed with water by the player. This will begin at one squirt, and as the game increases in difficulty the player will need to hit the squirrel multiple times in order to defeat it. Finally, the transition from fleeing to seeking will be triggered when the squirrel is a certain distance away from the player. This will begin as a high number, so the squirrel will flee nearly to the opposite side of the screen. The distance will shrink as the game increases in difficulty, to add additional challenges for the player.
I want the bad guys to cover the lamp red section by section, but I’m still working on writing that code. Right now, the globs are an array list within my bad guy class, and the bad guys are an array list in the main class. I might change the wrapping pattern of the bad guy so that they’re harder to avoid, or add a different bad guy that does something else, like shooting globs that freeze the player momentarily. I also want to add another lamp so that the player has to cross back and forth between the lamps while avoiding the bad guys.
I still have a lot to work on, but I’m confident that I can get the code written and design a more detailed interface. I’m working on drawing a different lamp lighter on my tablet, who looks more like this:
I also want to design a background that looks like a street in victorian London, and make a better title screen. I look forward to posting about my game when it’s all finished!